Reading the access attributes of directories in Windows

Fri Aug 27 19:07:30 EDT 2010

In message <mailman.99.1282894128.29448.python-list at python.org>, Rami
Chowdhury wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 05:04, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <pan.2010.08.22.04.26.33.547000 at nowhere.com>, Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> Having this as a separate permission allows normal users to add entries
>>> to log files but not to erase existing entries.
>>
>> Unix/Linux systems can do this already.
>
> Ooh, I didn't know that -- what combination of permissions would I
> have to use to get such an effect?

No special permissions needed at all—just use the syslog(3) functions.

And the nice thing is, you don’t have to know whether the system logs are
kept on the local machine or on a remote machine, or how different
categories of messages are divided up into different files, how log rotation
is done, or anything like that—it’s all transparent.