Python "why" questions

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:22:27 EDT 2010

On 8/16/10 11:10 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:56:20 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/10 9:29 PM, Roy Smith wrote:

>>> c) neither of the above.  More specifically, 13,001 (if I counted
>>> correctly).
>>
>> 13000, actually. Floating point is a bitch.
>>
>> [~/Movies]
>> |1>  import numpy
>>
>> [~/Movies]
>> |2>  len(numpy.r_[160.0:30.0:-0.01])
>> 13000
>

> Actually, the answer is 0, not 13000, because the step size is given as
> 0.01, not -0.01.

> 13000
> 0

Roy wasn't using numpy/Python semantics but made-up semantics (following Martin
Gregorie's made-up semantics to which he was replying) which treat the step size
as a true size, not a size and direction. The direction is determined from the
start and stop parameters. It's an almost-reasonable design.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco