Simple Python Sandbox

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sat Aug 14 23:07:37 EDT 2010

On 8/14/10 5:09 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> My worst case
>> fall-back plan is to embed /another/ language (be it Lua or JavaScript
>> through V8) and offer it a very limited environment. But I don't want to
>> do that (and considering I solved the while True: pass problem last
>> night, I'm pretty sure I won't decide to).
>
> I assume you mean you've solved the problem of DOS attacks from users
> running infinite loops. How did you do that?

Since I only have to run this on Unix-isms, I'm using alarm()/signal().
The C code takes the hash of the source code that's going to be executed
and marks it, then sets an alarm and executes the code (though its
usually been compiled into a code object).

There's no code which would -ever- in this situation take longer then 2
seconds to run (and that's extremely generous), but the alarm is 5: if
the code doesn't return and cancel the alarm by then, I know the code is
functionally broken.

So, the signal handler records the hash of the code that failed -- it'll
never be tried again -- logs an error message, and restarts the whole
process (which happens seamlessly with virtually no user interruption,
but this system is not architected in a way where its readily able to
resume operation in the event of a signal interrupt).

This isn't perfect: infinite loops it kills, but things like [0] *
10^^100 crash head first into the machine and bring it to a crawl. I
haven't figured out a strategy for trying to address that yet, and
ultimately, I may not find one. That's okay: perfection isn't my goal,
infinite loops are easy enough to do on accident that halting them is
important.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai