Looking for a buffered/windowed iterator

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:50:26 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-12 11:21 AM, samwyse wrote:

> Previous discussions in c.l.py (primarily those that propose new
> functions to be added to itertools) claim that people do this all the
> time, but seem woefully short of actual examples.  Before I possibly
> re-invent the wheel(*), could someone point me to some actual code
> that approximates what I want to do?  Thanks.

 From grin, my grep-alike:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/grin

def sliding_window(seq, n):
     """ Returns a sliding window (up to width n) over data from the iterable

     Adapted from the itertools documentation.

         s -> (s0,), (s0, s1), ... (s0,s1,...s[n-1]), (s1,s2,...,sn), ...
     """
     it = iter(seq)
     result = ()
     for i, elem in itertools.izip(range(n), it):
         result += (elem,)
         yield result
     for elem in it:
         result = result[1:] + (elem,)
         yield result

A slight modification of this should get what you want.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco