Pyfora, a place for python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 3 11:17:55 EST 2009

>> Since when is the mere suggestion that fragmentation will occur and if
>> that's a desirable consequence is hostile? The OP is not bound to it,
>> and I also don't see the tone used by the two immediate answerers being
>> hostile. Paul might have been terse - but hostility looks different IMHO.
>
> I was referring to this comment by Ben:
>
> "Suggestion: Please don't make efforts to fragment the community."
>
> This IMHO is hostile, because it presupposes that the mere goal of the
> OP is fragmenting the community, which is something negative, i.e. it
> contains negative prejudice. What I would have written in Ben's place:
>
> Have you considered the possibility that your website will further
> fragment the community?
>
> This wouldn't have been hostile, IMHO.

Well, this is *deep* into the realms of semantics and dialectics. To an
extend that personal prejudice would change the perception of the sentence.
If everything posted here (and elsewhere) had to be worded so carefully,
we'd hardly discussing anything at all.

> Competent people will only move away if the website is
> great/fun/useful/etc. In which case we should welcome it, since
> something great/fun/useful/etc is a good thing. If it's not
> great/fun/useful/etc competent people will not move away, in which
> case c.l.p. will not be any worse as a result of launching the new
> website.

There is not only the problem of people moving away - but also of them not
even finding *this* place to discuss because they found pyfora first, and
thus the "danger" of them getting not the good answers they are looking
for. This sometimes already happens, if one of the google ad farms out
there that tries to lure people onto their pages simply reproduces c.l.py
content - and people believe it's a genuine forum - and wonder why they
don't get answers there.

> Welcome to open source, the world of infinitely many forks, code
> variants, MLs, forums, NGs, websites, in other words, welcome to the
> bazaar!

Oh please. If every dissent on the direction of an open-source project (or
commercial one) would lead to forking, we'd end up with a lot of projects
which none of them being competitive and mature. So can we scrap this
straw-man of an argument?

Diez