DOM implementation

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 15 10:42:29 EDT 2009

On 15 Mai, 15:23, "Emanuele D'Arrigo" <man... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>
> would you mind continuing this thread on Python + DOM? I'm trying to
> implement a DOM Events-like set of classes and I could use another
> brain that has some familiarity with the DOM to bounce ideas with. If
> you are too busy never mind. Also, I thought of keeping the discussion
> here rather than via email, for the benefit of current and future
> readers.

Sure! Just keep your observations coming! I've made a very lazy
attempt at DOM Events support in libxml2dom, since it looked as if it
might be necessary when providing elementary SVG Tiny support (which
also isn't finished), although I find these things quite hard to
figure out with the usual vagueness of the specifications on certain
crucial implementation-related details (and that there's a mountain of
specifications that one has to navigate).

One of my tests tries to exercise the code, but I might be doing it
all completely wrong:

https://hg.boddie.org.uk/libxml2dom/file/91c0764ac7c6/tests/svg_events.py

It occurs to me that various PyQt- and PyKDE-related bindings might
also provide some exposure to DOM Events, although I had heard that
WebKit, which should have support for lots of DOM features, exposes
some pretty useless interfaces to languages like Python, currently.
The situation with Mozilla and PyXPCOM may well be similar.

Paul