Will multithreading make python less popular?

Falcolas garrickp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:48:37 EST 2009

On Feb 19, 1:18 pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> ...  If such
> speedups were useless or unimportant, we would not have blown our hard
> earned cash replacing perfectly good older hardware, so we have to
> accept the concept that speed matters and ignore those platitudes that
> say otherwise.

That's fair, but by using a high level language in the first place,
you've already made the conscious decision to sacrifice speed for ease
of programming. Otherwise, you would probably be programming in C.

The question really is "Is it fast enough", and the answer usually is
"Yes". And when the answer is "No", there are many things which can be
done before the need to multi-thread the whole script comes about.

It's a proposition that used to bother me, until I did some actual
programming of real world problems in Python. I've yet to really find
a case where the application was slow enough to justify the cost of
using multiple Python processes.

~G