Found a very nice, small, cross-platform GUI toolkit for Python.

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 01:21:03 EST 2009

> Note: spelling is "OcempGUI". Also, since google broke some of the
> links,
> here's that main link again:

Thats my bad or more to the point my iPhone bad, typing fast with
spellcheck changes words to real dictionary words.

> Well, to be fair, SDL is pretty commonly-used software and they offer
> binary downloads for Mac OS X and MS Windows. Pygame seems to provide
> the same. So, installation should be a breeze.

Not on Mac. To get SDL, PyObjC, PyGame and other dependencies
installed on the platform you are talking on downloading and
installing close to 50MB+ of packages before you get to the point
where you install the OcempGUI package.

Thats a lot to ask of a user just to run my one program on their
system. If it was just myself and I wanted to go through the process
for educational/self-benefit I wouldn't mind.

But TkInter is already installed (0 dependencies) and on every Mac out
there so when I said 87Kbytes for a widget set that looks rather Mac
like I was saying compare 87Kbytes to 50+Megabytes to get a GUI for my
python application.

Along the same lines on my Linux boxes, GDK+/KDE are normally already
installed, nothing for the entire user base to install additional or
very little (additional) dependencies to install to get a wxWidget or
Qt interface going on those systems. Python wrappers are small but the
"additional" dependency installs above and beyond the base system is
what I am pointing at as killing off any interest in OcempGUI.

I also have this sneaking suspicion that the BDFL is secretly on the
sidelines waiting for the Tk tile theming engine to mature as if it
does and becomes standard in Python distributions I would say the
justification for learning wx and qt would be diminished by an unknown
quantity.