Does the Python community really follow the philospy of "Community Matters?"

Craig Allen callen314 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 15:21:07 EST 2009

I think what you have found is a remarkable characteristic of this
language.  Somehow, perhaps something to do with guido or python
itself, python has a very strong non-dogmatic streak.  It's a relief
really.  If I were to pose a "is python or its community really xyz?"
I would wonder about the "one best way to do something".  One of my
first posts here was about three different ways I had built
singletons. As a result of that I was given a better way, but no one
said any of the other ways were "non-pythonic", it was more, "if you
use option one, make sure of this, if you use option two, don't forget
that"...

As such, python programmers are not there for you to feel superior.
If you want a language for a feeling of community, then it hardly
matters what language you choose, and if you want a good language,
it's secondary if the community gives you that feeling (you should get
it from the language itself).  And since there IS a python community
to go to for help, python has that covered without worrying about it
or making it a language feature.  It may seems cold, instead of giving
warm fuzzies, people will help you with tangible problems, but we are
not starting a commune.  "Uses a langague with sense of community that
advocates  for their language over others" is never in a spec.

-craig