Numeric literals in other than base 10 - was Annoying octal notation

Hendrik van Rooyen hendrik at microcorp.co.za
Mon Aug 24 04:29:20 EDT 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009 01:04:37 bartc wrote:

> That's a neat idea. But an even simpler scheme might be:
>
> .octal.100
> .decimal.100
> .hex.100
> .binary.100
> .trinary.100
>
> until it gets to this anyway:
>
> .thiryseximal.100

Yeah right.  So now I first have to type a string, which probably has a strict
spelling, before a number.  It is only marginally less stupid than this:

1.0										- Unary
11.0101									- Binary
111. 012012 							- Trinary
11111111.01234567						- Octal
1111111111.0123456789					- Decimal
1111111111111111.0123456789abcdef	- Hex

Any parser that can count will immediately know what to do.

I also tried to include an example of a literal with a base of a Googol but I
ran out of both ink and symbols.
:-)
- Hendrik