zip codes

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Mon Aug 17 04:29:17 EDT 2009

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> Shailen wrote:
>> Is there any Python module that helps with US and foreign zip-code
>> lookups? I'm thinking of something that provides basic mappings of zip
>> to cities, city to zips, etc. Since this kind of information is so
>> often used for basic user-registration, I'm assuming functionality of
>> this sort must be available for Python. Any suggestions will be much
>> appreciated.
>>
> There might be an associated can of worms here, for example in the
> Netherlands zip codes are actually copyrighted and require a license if
> you want to do something with them, on the other hand you get a nice SQL
> formatted db to use it. I don't know how this works in other countries
> but I imagine that it is likely to be generally the same.

Also in The Netherlands, ZIP codes are much more fine-grained than in
some other countries: ZIP code plus house number together are sufficient
to uniquely identify an address.  I.e. you don't need the street name.
E.g., my work address has ZIP code 1098 XG and house number 123, so
together they indicate that I work at Science Park 123, Amsterdam.

In other words, a simple city <-> ZIP mapping is not sufficient.

--
Sjoerd Mullender