OT Signature quote [was Re: Unrecognized escape sequences in string literals]

Hendrik van Rooyen hendrik at microcorp.co.za
Sun Aug 16 07:42:14 EDT 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 12:18:11 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> In any case, after half a century of left-from-right assignment, I think
> it's worth the experiment in a teaching language or three to try it the
> other way. The closest to this I know of is the family of languages
> derived from Apple's Hypertalk, where you do assignment with:
>
> put somevalue into name
>
> (Doesn't COBOL do something similar?)

Yup.

move banana to pineapple.

move accountnum in inrec to accountnum in outrec.

move corresponding inrec to outrec.

It should all be upper case of course...

I cannot quite recall, but I have the feeling that in the second  form, "of"
was also allowed instead of "in", but it has been a while now so I am
probably wrong.

The move was powerful - it would do conversions for you based on the types of
the operands - it all "just worked".

- Hendrik