os.path.exists() function does not work for http paths

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 29 13:34:41 EDT 2008

dudeja.rajat at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have used os.path.exists() many a times for any file system paths in
> local system. But this does not seem to work for an Http path.
>
> e.g:
>

> To check is the Results folder exists at the following path, I do:
>

> if not os.path.exists("http://subversion.myCom.com/Testing/Results"):
>     print 'Path does not exist'
>

> This always prints the above print statements whether or not the Results
> folder exists or not.
>
> Is there any such function to check existence of files. / folder at Http
> paths?

You could use one of the URL libraries. The os.path module is for
dealing with the local filesystem.

The absence of any exception from

  f = urllib.urlopen("http://www.google.com/webhp/")

is a good indication that the addressed page "exists" (but remember that
the web is a virtual address space, so it doesn't necessarily mean that
there's a real file or directory object behind ot).

regards
 Steve

--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119