How to open a shell prompt from an existing shell prompt

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Oct 30 06:39:44 EDT 2008

gaurav kashyap wrote:
> reply please

try to invest some time in your question, it might be a
cultural thing and from my observations common in questions
from the indian area...

So "give me that." "I require..." might syntactically be
correct, but the sound to other people on mailinglists
is not so nice.

Better try to describe what your problem is - and not
only the immediate one but an overall picture of what
you want to achive and then put your question. That
was people can better understand what you want to do
and help you. Ah and btw, sentence with questions
are better ended with question marks -> ?
This makes it easier to parse.

Back to your problem: its not clear what you mean by
"open a shell prompt (window)"

You can execute a script via subprocess module
and get all the input and output in separate
file handles you could use to interact with the
script. Open a new window would mean a new terminal
and is very os specific. Usually you don't have
control over such a spawned terminal window.

Regards
Tino