Python suitable for Midi ?

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:54:57 EDT 2008

I'm writing a sequencer in Python, although it's microtonal and not
MIDI.  I'm using the Python bindings for the Csound API, all the
timing, MIDI, OSC, etc. stuff, essentially all but the GUI
capabilities, having been done by the Csound developers already.
Documentation is here and there, and Csound is another language to
learn, but it's one way to go about it.
I'm about to try to recode my app to calculate tempo and note timing
internally and send real-time notes to Csound, instead of having
Csound do it all.
The problem I've run into is that I can't set the audio to a higher
priority than the GUI (Tkinter).  If I move the mouse over the app, no
matter what, I get audio dropouts.  AFAICT this is the same for all
Python, regardless of what modules one uses: you can't assign system
priorities to different threads.  If you're planning to pipe MIDI to
another app for playback, maybe it won't be an issue for you.
Good luck!

-Chuckk

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com