Installing NumPy and SciPy in Python 2.6

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 16:09:06 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Scott David Daniels
<Scott.Daniels at acm.org> wrote:
> Vicent Giner wrote:
>>
>> I've installed Python 2.6 in my Windows XP. Actually, I've installed
>> ActiveState's ActivePython 2.6.
>>
>> I would like to use NumPy and SciPy.
>>
>> Are those packages compatible with version 2.6 of Python?
>
> I believe there is more work to do on Scipy and Numpy before they will
> run on 2.6.  Expect Numpy to come first (or at the same time).  2.6 is
> quite new, so a number of packages may tak a while to get there.  I
> think Numpy, in particular, is changing to a new memory buffer protocol,
> and may take a while.

AFAIK, numpy on 2.6 will not change to a new API in that regard.

But note that python 2.6 does not bring much for scientific
computation, so I think that if you canm you should stick to 2.5
before a release with official 2.6 support is available.

We indeed hope to get a 2.6 compatible release of numpy within the end
of the year (scipy should follow quite quickly).

David