Exhaustive Unit Testing

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Nov 28 08:44:31 EST 2008

In article <mailman.4622.1227875510.3487.python-list at python.org>,
 Nigel Rantor <wiggly at wiggly.org> wrote:

> Roy Smith wrote:
> >
> > There's a well known theory in studies of the human brain which says people
> > are capable of processing about 7 +/- 2 pieces of information at once.
>
> It's not about processing multiple taks, it's about the amount of things
> that can be held in working memory.

Yes, and that's what I'm talking about here.  If there's N possible code
paths, can you think about all of them at the same time while you look at
your code and simultaneously understand them all?  If I write:

if foo:
   do_this()
else:
   do_that()

it's easy to get a good mental picture of all the consequences of foo being
true or false.  As the number of paths go up, it becomes harder to think of
them all as a coherent piece of code and you have to resort to examining
the paths sequentially.