Uninstall one of two Python's

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Nov 17 06:01:24 EST 2008

tengounplanb at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to remove one of two instances of Python installed on
> the same machine? I have two Python-2.5.2, one in /usr/local/bin/
> python2.5 and the other one in /usr/bin/python2.5. The latter has the
> modules I use (kinterbasdb, psycopg, mod_python,...) and the first
> don't.
>
> I have Apache with mod_python installed as well. When Apache tries to
> run a Python script, I think it's using the "wrong" python, and that's
> because the /usr/local/bin path is before the /usr/bin path in the
> $PATH variable.

Unless you compiled the module yourself, I doubt that. Ubuntu won't ship
with a mod_* compiled against /usr/local/python

If the module picks up the wrong python, simply removing that won't work I
fear - library loading problems will occur.

So you need to recompile the module with the desired interpreter (or
re-install from the package management)

Diez