multiple Python versions, but on Windows (how to handle registry updates)

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 11 17:15:38 EDT 2008

En Sun, 11 May 2008 01:17:22 -0300, Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> escribió:

> I realized that my query was not making much sense, or a bit convoluted. A
> simler form of the question:
>
> For packages which do contain .dlls & .pyd's (not pure Python) their latest
> version may be compatible with -- say Python 2.5, whereas I need the version
> compatible for Python2.2. Is this a completely manual exercise ?

You don't have to try - binaries for different Python versions *are* *not* compatible (up to the second digit: 2.4 and 2.5 are not compatible, but 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 are). So any extension using a .pyd/.dll will have to be recompiled, at least.
Even pure Python code written for 2.5 may use features not available in 2.2.

Packages built using setuptools (eggs) may contain explicit dependency information but I don't know for sure.

--
Gabriel Genellina