Python and Flaming Thunder

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu May 29 03:36:19 EDT 2008

Dave Parker <daveparker at flamingthunder.com> wrote:

> Catch doesn't return just error types or numbers, it can return any
> object returned by the statements that are being caught; catch doesn't
> care what type they are.  For example:
>
>   Writeline catch(set x to "hello world".).
>
> will write "hello world".

I really don't get this. Surely the point about an error being thrown to a
catch statement is that the error path is separate from the normal
execution path? What you are doing here is ensuring that unexpected errors
have no chance at all of propagating up to the top level: they are
invariably going to get caught by some other handler that was installed
just because someone was too lazy to write a set statement followed by a
writeline.