Program source implemented in non-text storage (was: Regarding coding style)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Mar 18 05:59:55 EDT 2008

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_666 at gmx.net> writes:

> [A general VCS] depends usually on the fact that there are
> individual files. Preferably text files if you want automagic
> merging of different changes.

Yes.

> Now think of languages that are tightly coupled with their IDE
> storing only binary "tokenized" files instead of plain text or even
> one big binary file that contains all sources and resources of the
> project.

Those issues have nothing to do with the language, and everything to
do with the language implementation.

Moreover, a brain-dead monstrosity as you describe would result in far
greater problems than merely the lack of decent version control
support. I think it's safe to leave such implementations to rot,
rather than stretching tools to acommodate them.

--
 \          “That's all very good in practice, but how does it work in |
  `\                                             *theory*?” —anonymous |