Checking if a variable is a dictionary

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Thu Mar 6 09:26:27 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Guillermo
<guillermo.listas at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  >What makes you say you "need" to know this ? Except for a couple corner
>  >cases, you usually don't need to care about this. If you told us more
>  >about the actual problem (instead of asking about what you think is the
>  >solution), we might be of more help...
>
>  I want to iterate recursively a dictionary whose elements might be
>  strings or nested tuples or dictionaries and then convert values to a
>  tagged format according to some rules.

just do so, if it's not a dict you can always catch the exception,
then handle tuples (or the exception), then strings which should work
always (of course also error handling here according to your needs)

>  I'm just designing the algorithm, but I think Python dictionaries can
>  hold any kind of sequence?

python dicts can hold any kind of object (as a value). What you can't
do is have a list as the key, but that is easily circumvented by using
a tuple (or any other immutable type).

hth
martin

--
http://tumblr.marcher.name
https://twitter.com/MartinMarcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.