Strange behavior of the Eclipse embedded console

hellt Dodin.Roman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:09:01 EDT 2008

On 20 мар, 14:31, hellt <Dodin.Ro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> i've faced with some strangeness while executing this sample:
>
> choice = raw_input("your choice: ")
> print len(choice)
>
> when i run this sample in my eclipse console with CPython and print
> Yes, i have this output
> 4 #trailing \t is the fourth element
>
> but when i use command line method
> python sample.py
> i have the correct length = 3
>
> i'm curious now, can anyone explain that?

just took a look into PyDEV-FAQ.

"The eclipse console is not an exact copy of a shell... one of the
changes is that when you press <ENTER> in a shell, it may give you a
\r, \n or \r\n as an end-line char, depending on your platform. Python
does not expect this -- from the docs it says that it will remove the
last \n (checked in version 2.4), but, in some platforms that will
leave a \r there. This means that the raw_input() should usually be
used as raw_input().replace('\r', ''), and input() should be changed
for: eval(raw_input().replace('\r', ''))."