GUI toolkits with Tkinter's .pack() alternative

Alex9968 noname9968 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 07:04:53 EDT 2008

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> 2008/3/27, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>  > 2008/3/26, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
>>  >
>>  >> Hi all,
>>  >>
>>  >>  I use Tkinter's Pack widget geometry manager (I really prefer it over
>>  >>  using visual GUI designers), so my question is which other GUI toolkits
>>  >>  have similar functionality.
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > The geometry manager isn't related to using GUI designers tools at
>>  > all. And each toolkit has it's own way to do the things, wxPython uses
>>  > sizers, PyGtk uses containers.
>>  >

>> Well, the geometry manager isn't *directly* related to using GUI
>>  designers, but as Pack arranges widgets automatically, using GUI
>>  designers isn't required, while with geometry managers that don't, GUI
>>  designers are necessary (if you start placing widgets programmatically,
>>  you'll end up reinventing something like Tkinter's Pack or Grid geometry
>>  manager). I hope I can be understood clearly this time ;-)
>>

> Not at all, can't understand your point yet. GUI designers aren't just
> for placing widgets, they also will keep the interface design
> separated from your code.

I do not want to separate interface from code and I do not experience
the need to use GUI designers.

Pack arranges widgets perfectly, and it's very complex to do the same
without it, both in code and in GUI designer. I wish toolkits I use to
be able to place widgets one after another automatically.

>>  >>  Tkinter, which can be used to tweak GUI look, and wonder if other
>>  >>  toolkits support it. With Tkinter's case, I like the resulting (tweaked)
>>  >>  look in Windows, but I'm afraid it can be quite different (and ugly) on
>>  >>  other platforms.
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > You sure can, but differently.
>>  >

>> I suppose any toolkit allows setting parameters like "no border", "flat
>>  border" and "3d border", but which ones can set ANY type of border to
>>  ANY widget like Tkinter does? For example set GROOVE border to buttons
>>  and text widgets (instead of traditional wide raised/lowered borders),
>>  which is cool (in my opinion).
>>

> The widgets subclass some base class, which contains some common
> methods which could be the border and relief for example.
> In the case of PyGtk, border
> width is controlled at Container, so most widgets will have this
> feature, but the relief style of the widget is not common to all
> widgets so you will need to check this one (Button has it).
> In wxPython, widgets will subclass Window, which has all you want and more.
> But PyQt doesn't seem to care much about this, you can change the
> widget to flat (if it makes sense to that widget have setFlat method)
> but not much related to the borders.
> You could recheck your use-cases and see if they are acceptable.
>

>>  >>  (The reason I ever consider moving from Tkinter is some inconveniences,
>>  >>  involving for example window scrolling, plus its smaller amount of
>>  >>  widgets compared to some other toolkits, plus its (rumored) ugly look on
>>  >>  certain environments. I will not necessary change the toolkit, but I
>>  >>  have to consider it)
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > I'm planning to "solve" this, I'm suggesting inclusion of Ttk into
>>  > Tkinter for upcoming GSoC. For now you could try using Tile extension,
>>  > and update to Tk 8.5. If you don't want to use extensions, then you
>>  > will have to wait or change the toolkit for now.
>>  >

>> Thanks. I haven't heard of Tile before, now I will keep this in mind.
>>  You forgot to mention WHAT you're planning to solve ;-) , so I have to
>>  add that Tile is modernization of Tk widgets (so it fixes ugly look).
>>

> WHAT I'm planning to solve, quote from my own paragraph:
> "I'm planning to "solve" this, I'm suggesting inclusion of Ttk into
> Tkinter for upcoming GSoC."
>
> I would like to add the possibility to use Ttk widgets into tkinter,
> providing you have Tk 8.5. It would solve the problem of "not enough
> widgets" and the other one of "being ugly" mainly. Tk 8.5 also
> auto-fixes some other problems, it provides smooth-scrolling for the
> text widget, for example. But keep in mind that using Tk 8.5 in Python
> is not yet supported (but possible).

I understood you. I added that sentence just to make it clear for anyone
reading this. Your participation is appreciated greatly, thank you.