The best way to package a Python module?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 15 18:39:52 EDT 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:37:47 +0900, js <ebgssth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >By "package", I meant APT, Ports for BSD, MacPorts, etc.
>
> I don't know about ports or macport, but Debian has recently
> switched to a different policy for python packages which does not
> involve as many Python version specific copies of things. You might
> want to look at "python-central" and stdeb.

The version-specific copies are still there in the latest Debian
practices. That's a necessary artefact of the per-version
site-packages of Python.

What has changed is that the tools in common use for Debian packaging
of Python libraries have taken on the role of generating those
per-version copies at install time.

This means that, for pure-Python libraries, the source package need
only contain a version-independent source and a declaration of which
Python versions it should be installed for. The installation tool will
take care of making the per-version copies in various places.

--
 \     "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits."  -- Mark |
  `\                                       Twain, _Pudd'n'head Wilson_ |