Exceptions on delete in pysqlite

Wildemar Wildenburger lasses_weil at klapptsowieso.net
Sun Jan 27 13:05:15 EST 2008

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:12:57 -0200, Wildemar Wildenburger
> <lasses_weil at klapptsowieso.net> escribi�:
>
>> Using pysqlite, I'd like to check if some dataset that I removed has
>> been in the database at all. Ideally I'd like pysqlite to raise an
>> Exception if deleting does nothing. Is that possible?
>
> I don't think so. It isn't an error, like a SELECT which returns an
> empty set isn't an error either.

Of course, but you know ... I was hoping.

>> Codewise, I'd like the following, but without me checking for and
>> raising the exception myself:
>>
>> cur = con.execute("""DELETE FROM SomeTable WHERE id=? AND name=?""",
>>                       (ID, NAME))
>> if cur.rowcount == 0:
>>      raise Exception
>
> Write a function to do that.

Yeah well you see, I have several similar functions for inserting,
updating and deleting on different tables. And I wanted them all to
behave uniformly, raising some exception when the operation did not do
quite right (in this case: delete something that is not there.). That
way, all those functions would even have looked similar, and I would
have liked that for readability. Or for my autism, you pick. :)

Well, thanks anyway. :)
/W