encrypting python modules

Robert Latest boblatest at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 07:46:48 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> No, it's a serious question. You distribute Python code, and you're
> worried that your users will modify the source code and then neglect to
> mention it when they report bugs which they introduced.
>
> Before you build an elephant-proof fence around your house, it is quite
> reasonable to ask whether or not there are actually elephants in your
> neighbourhood.

Depending on where you are, there are probably plenty. Recently I started
hacking around in a GPLed Python app (GRAMPS, if anybody cares). This
program has a built-in bug report feature which makes it easy to email bugs
with associated stack trace etc. to the developers. Unfortunately the bug
report window also automatically popped up even when stuff went wrong within
my own broken code. For such a case it would be good if a software could
somehow detect modifications of itself and its associated modules.

And, contrary to the advice I gave elsethread, unfortunately it's impossible
to just drop uncooperative customers when you develop GPL software ;-)

robert