subprocess.Popen inheriting

Jeremy Sanders jeremy+complangpython at jeremysanders.net
Wed Dec 17 09:21:38 EST 2008

Aaron Brady wrote:

> I thought so too.  The web seems to say that on Linux they are, and on
> Windows, you need to call DuplicateHandle for it.

I hit this problem - it looks like pipes aren't very versatile on Windows.
There's also the complicating factor that the handles in windows aren't the
same as the file numbers that Python uses, so you have to convert between
them.

It would be nice if Python created pipes that are properly inheritable by
default by child processes, as they're mostly used for IPC.

It was so painful that I converted my code to use sockets instead, which
seem much more portable between Windows and Unix (though you don't get to
use socketpair and AF_UNIX in Windows).

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders