need help with list/variables

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Tue Dec 30 17:00:39 EST 2008

On Dec 30, 11:41 am, 5lvqbw... at sneakemail.com wrote:

> [...]

"conc"? "side effects"? Missing Lisp much? ;-)

Let's try to Pythonize your lisp.

One:

Assigning a lambda to a variable? Just use def. It's pretty much the
same thing.

  >>> def conc(x,y): return x[:]+y

Two:

I don't think x+y affects x at all when x and y are lists. (Is that a
lispism?) So x[:]+y has an unnecessary array copy.

  >>> def conc(x,y): return x+y

Three:

Python may still be slow at string concatenation. (Perl is fast.)
Rather than concatenating one at a time, it's better, I understand, to
build up a list and then join() them together.

The other posters got the right answer in the pythonic way.