Mathematica 7 compares to other languages

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 03:38:30 EST 2008

I did some image processing in Mathematica once. It allocated 2GB
of memory to do display a normal size image. The professor (not of
my university) who gave the course I was following then, was a big
Mathematica fan. He also used lots of sentences containing
"quite striking", "highly efficient", "extreme" and other power-terms. I
know see whom he got it from. When I hear a person talk like that for
long enough, everything he says starts to sound like lies. One good
example was the bold statement that Mathematica is MUCH faster
than Matlab. Clearly, when considering low level task like convolution
both programs will use efficient C implementations, and I can't imagine
one being faster than the other.

Personally, I liked Mathematica for symbolic calculations, but for
numerical stuff, frankly, it sucks.

Glad to get that off my chest.
Cheers,
  Almar