Keg - A python web framework

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:00:00 EDT 2008

eghansah wrote:

> As to the question on how different this is from other frameworks, I
> think there are certainly many similarities. As I admitted in the
> writeup, it draws from other projects including django. However, there
> is one new idea I haven't seen anywhere . . . not yet at least. In keg,
> I try to use URL pattern matching to run one or more functions required
> to generate the page the URL is pointing to. For instance, when you try
> to access a page like http://www.python.org <http://www.python.org/> Keg
> will run all functions whose URL regex matches the URL requested. Their
> output is then combined to generate the resulting page. With this
> approach, we could have functions that generate menus, those that
> generate page content and those that manage logins. These could all be
> separately maintained. Keg ties their outputs all together to generate
> the page. This means you could work on a menu system and not worry about
> how you will generate ads for the page. The possibilities are endless .
> . . at least in theory.
>
> Also, each function receives the same input. This means that the
> execution of one function does not really affect the execution of any
> others. Hopefully this makes debugging much easier. Another good effect
> of this idea is that all functions can be run in parallel since they are
> independent.

So make your project an add-on to Django or other frameworks.  You tell
Django to send all requests to key.py.  Keg.py runs the pattern matcher,
call the functions, and re-assembles the result to pass back to Django
for delivery.  The functions then have all other components of Django
available.

In other words, don't reinvent the wheel, invent a new wheel cover*.

Terry Jan Reedy

This is possibly a new version of an old saying.  Other endings I found
on Google (first 2000 hits) are '', 'improve it', 'improve on it', 'just
add new tyres', 'just identify a colleague (who has done it)', 'Patch,
extend or subclass an existing module', 're-invent its use!', 'write
something new', and '(or worse, a flat tire)'.