class level properties

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 14:18:58 EDT 2008

Peter Otten wrote:
> Charles D Hixson wrote:
>

>> I want a hundred or so read-only variables, and I'm not sure the best
>> way to achieve it.
>>

> What do you really want to do? I recommend that you forget about bondage and
> rely upon displine:
>
> class Test(object):
>     """Never change an attribute with an uppercase name."""
>     SIMPLE = "simple example working"
>
> Now that was easy...
>
> Peter

What I'm doing it translating Java code which has a large number of
"public static final (type)" variables.

As to your answer ... yes, and with good discipline you can write object
oriented code in C and never need a garbage collector.  It's *not* a
good answer.  Before I'd chose that one, I'd make it necessary to
instantiate the class before testing the value of it's constants.  It's
just that that seems to be a silly requirement, so I'd like to avoid
it.  (That's the "solution" that I currently have working with __getattr__.)