Can't see variables declared as global in a function

Jacob Davis j.foster.davis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 03:26:29 EDT 2008

Hi.

I have a hundred lines of code in a module that declare some global
variables inside a function so that those variables can be used by
other functions.  I want to import this module so that I can more
easily debug by looking at the value of individual variables.  But
when I try to reach these variables, I get a warning that they are not
defined.

I am on an Intel Mac running Leopard 10.5.2, Python 2.5

Here is an example of some code that has the same problem:

#!/usr/bin/env python

global isglobal
isglobal=200

def somefunc():
     global from_somefunc
     from_somefunc=5

def anotherfunc():
     return from_somefunc+30

So during debugging I want to look at the variable from_somefunc

here is my terminal output. I start by looking at dir(), then run
somefunc(), then run anotherfunc(), then I want to look at
from_somefunc but I get a warning:

Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
 >>> from test_vars import *
 >>> dir()
['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'anotherfunc', 'isglobal',
'somefunc']
 >>> somefunc()
 >>> anotherfunc()
35
 >>> isglobal
200
 >>> from_somefunc
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'from_somefunc' is not defined
 >>> dir()
['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'anotherfunc', 'isglobal',
'somefunc']

Is there a way that I can view from_somefunc?

Thanks,

Jake