Will Python 3.0 remove the global interpreter lock (GIL)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 20 10:35:24 EDT 2007

On 2007-09-20, TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd at aol.com> wrote:

> Is the only point in getting rid of the GIL to allow multi-threaded
> applications?

That's the main point.

> Can't multiple threads also provide a performance boost versus
> multiple processes on a single-core machine?

That depends on the algorithm, the code, and the
synchronization requirements.

> OK, have to agree. Sounds like it could be a good candidate
> for a fork. One question - is it a computer science maxim that
> an interpreter that implements multi-threading will always be
> slower when running single threaded apps?

I presume you're referring to Amdahl's law.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Remember there are reasons other than speed on a
multi-processor platorm for wanting to do multi-threading.
Sometimes it just maps onto the application better than
a single-threaded solution.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want you to MEMORIZE
                                  at               the collected poems of