parsing the output from matlab

wang frank fw3 at hotmail.co.jp
Thu Oct 25 14:38:28 EDT 2007

Hi, Travis,

Thanks very much for your help. Since each day, my mail box is flooded with python forum email. I simply overlooked your email, eventhough I am desperately waiting for the help. Today when I googled the topic and found your reply.

I am sorry that I send a similar help request to the forum today.

Frank

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:08:28 -0400From: travis.brady at gmail.comTo: python-list at python.orgSubject: Re: parsing the output from matlab
On 10/22/07, wang frank <fw3 at hotmail.co.jp> wrote

 I have a big log file generated from matlabe, for each variable, it print the name of the variable and an empty line and then the value. such as: x1 =     0.1 y =    7 z =     6.7 x1 =    0.5 I want to use python to parse the file and selectively print out the vairable and its value. For example, I want to print out all the value related with x1, so the output will be x1 = 0.1x1 = 0.5.
Here is a fairly naive version with re named groups that should handle the example you pasted.

In [62]: import re

In [63]: px = re.compile('(?P<variable>\w+)\s=\s+(?P<value>\d.*\d*)')

In [64]: for var in px.finditer(s):
    print "%s = %s" %(var.group('variable'), var.group('value'))
   ....:
   ....:
a = 0.1
y = 7
z = 6.7
x1 = 0.5

To filter for only the x1's just test for the group named 'variable':

In [66]: for var in px.finditer(s):
   ....:     if var.group('variable')=='x1':

But I'm betting these files get more complex than just the snippet you included, in which case it's probably worth looking at pyparsing  http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/ and regular expressions.

-- Travis Bradyhttp://travisbrady.com/