_tkinter installation in python 2.5 on mandriva with a default 2.4

wyleu chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 16:22:41 EDT 2007

 I'm running on  Mandriva 2007 (2.6.17-5mdv) and thus have python2.4.3
installed by default,
I'm running code requiring yield(), so need python2.5 and have
installed this sucessfully, and linked appropriately to allow me to
start python2.5 by typing python2.5. However I'd like to use idle so
require to be able to import _tkinter.
I gather I need to modift the setup.py script in my python directory
but am wary of experimenting since I've had problems with damaging the
default tkinter installation before.

import Tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in
<module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Should I need to download a later version of tkinter and/or should I
alter setup.py in my python install directory and then remake?
If the former how do I ensure I don't overwrite the original tkinter
install thus damaging the many mandriva utilities that rely on
python2.4.3 and if the later what should I be looking for within the
python2.5 installation to point to and what alterations within
setup.py are required?