Bit Operations

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:34:29 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 2:27 PM, Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 2:07 PM, Gianmaria Iaculo - NVENTA
> <gianmaria at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm so new to python (coming from .net so excuse me for the stupid question)
> > and i'm tring to do a very simple thing,with bytes.
> >
> > My problem is this:
> >
> > i've a byte that naturally is composed from 2 nibbles hi&low, and two
> > chars.. like A nd B. What i wonna do is to write A to the High nibble and B
> > to the the lower nibble.
>
> A string in python is a sequence of bytes, so what you're describing
> here is the string "AB".

Ah, I didn't realize until after I'd sent this that you were trying to
merge them into the same byte. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense
- ord("A") is outside the range you can represent in half a byte - but
Python does support the full range of bitwise operations, so you can
do whatever kind of shifting and setting that you'd have done in .NET.