setting variables in outer functions

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Thu Nov 1 05:37:55 EDT 2007

Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> writes:

> In real life code methods are used to implement callbacks

When I said "closures are used ...", I wasn't trying to be preachy
about how I think callbacks should be implemented, just explaining the
use (and usefulness) of *closures*.  I'm not saying closures are the
only method of implementing stateful callbacks, nor that they're the
best method around in all circumstances.

> What is your point here?

I was simply responding to a subthread that only evaluated closures as
a SICP-style OOP implementation mechanism.  That is missing the point
of closures.