docs patch: dicts and sets

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 19 21:50:58 EDT 2007

7stud wrote:
>> Actually, it would just move the "endless, petty discussions about what
>> minutiae are more important" into the docs. I don't see how that's an
>> improvement.
>
> Because it highlights the issues you will be faced with when using the
> described functions.  People will post about an issue they had with a
> function, and then they will post their solution.  Instead of having
> to search all over google for an answer, the most relevant discussions
> will be right in the docs.   As you read the user comments, you would
> be able to quickly tell whether a comment pertains to the issue you
> are having trouble with, and if the comment isn't relevant, you can
> skip the comment and look at the next comment.  If you wanted, you
> could limit yourself to reading just the official python description
> of the function and be no worse off.
>
>> And most will simply be confused.
>
> Then it's likely someone will post something to clear up the confusion.

But the real point is that it won't actually do much good to turn the
documentation into a miniature version of c.l.py itself.

You and other readers might be interested in a recent experiment by
Georg Brandl, one of the Python core developers. As Georg says, "For the
impatient: the result can be seen at <http://pydoc.gbrandl.de>".

This is based on a translation of the existing Latex source into
ReStructured Text format. I understand Georg is considering enabling
user comments, among other enhancements. Yo should also understand that
this is a work in progress which may never come to full fruition.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119