SQLObject 0.9.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 11 02:07:35 EDT 2007

> For reasons others will know, there are different branches to the
> SQLObject project. I think, analogously, python still has an active 2.4
> branch, if that helps make sense of maintaining branches based on
> versions. I'm not sure why the announcements aren't bundled into one
> because just about everyone who sees this for the first time asks the
> same question.

For the community being addressed (namely, users of SQLObject), this
form provides a useful service:
- they know that three branches are actively being maintained (0.7,
  0.8, and 0.9). I would expect that in particular users of the 0.7
  branch are glad to see that 0.7 is still alive even though 0.9 was
  just started. This is indeed more than is common, so releasing 0.7.7
  simultaneously sends a clear message of affirmation (I explicitly
  looked for a notice that this would be the last 0.7 release, and
  found none)
- for each branch, there is a list of changes for the branch, and
  I can easily see what changed in the version I'm interested in.
  Googling for old release announcements (e.g. SQLObject 0.7.5) brings
  up the announcement on hit 2, so I can also easily find announcemnts
  if I missed one.

Those not using SQLObject, or even see this for the first time, this
form gives the project higher attention than other projects - so it
may attract users. It may also shy away users if they think this
obsessive form of sending three usenet articles in a single hour
is spam, but I guess the author is willing to take that risk.

Martin