Python Web Programming - looking for examples of solid high-traffic sites

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Fri May 18 13:44:26 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> John Nagle a écrit :
>
>> Victor Kryukov wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> our team is going to rewrite our existing web-site, which has a lot of
>>> dynamic content and was quickly prototyped some time ago.

>>> Our main requirement for tools we're going to use is rock-solid
>>> stability. As one of our team-members puts it, "We want to use tools
>>> that are stable, has many developer-years and thousands of user-years
>>> behind them, and that we shouldn't worry about their _versions_." The
>>> main reason for that is that we want to debug our own bugs, but not
>>> the bugs in our tools.
>>

>>    You may not be happy with Python, then.
>

> John, I'm really getting tired of your systemic and totally
> unconstructive criticism. If *you* are not happy with Python, by all
> means use another language.

    Denying the existence of the problem won't fix it.

    Many of the basic libraries for web related functions do have
problems.  Even standard modules like "urllib" and "SSL" are buggy,
and have been for years.  Outside the standard modules, it gets
worse, especially for ones with C components.  Version incompatibility
for extensions is a serious problem.  That's reality.

    It's a good language, but the library situation is poor.  Python as
a language is better than Perl, but CPAN is better run than Cheese Shop.

    As a direct result of this, neither the Linux distro builders like
Red Hat nor major hosting providers provide Python environments that
just work.  That's reality.

					John Nagle