design question: generator object with other attributes

Alan Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Mar 22 15:25:58 EDT 2007

Essentially I want a generator that I can query about
its characteristics.  (E.g., a random number generator
that I want to be able to ask about is distributional
parameters.)

I am thinking of a class that wraps a generator.
An object of this class will have a ``next`` method that simply
returns the value the object get by calling the wrapped
generator.

A reasonable approach?

Thanks,
Alan Isaac

PS Here is a useless class to illustrate the basic idea
that you could have both attribute access and a
generator-connected ``next`` method.

class Start2Stop:
        def __init(start,stop):
                self.start = start
                self.stop = stop
                self.numgen = (i for in in xrange(start,stop))
        def next(self):
                return self.numgen.next()