Line Wrapping

Evan Klitzke evan at yelp.com
Mon Jun 18 14:12:19 EDT 2007

All,

Mail messages should be wrapped at 78 characters (as suggested in RFC
2822). I want my python batch scripts/cron jobs to enforce this
behavior, and format the mail that is sent out so that newline
characters are inserted as appropriate to keep line lengths at 78
characters or less. I wrote a function to take a string and format it
in this manner, but it seemed a bit awkward and un-Python like (my
background is mostly C, and the function looks very much like C code).
I'd imagine that there's probably a short, succinct, more elegant
solution using regular expressions or some module that is unknown to
me. Does anyone have any clean, short solutions to this problem?

--
Evan Klitzke <evan at yelp.com>