The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jun 25 19:14:10 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> 2. Regarding these graphical derivatives (apparently plural) of
> emacs,

Emacs is a graphical derivative of Emacs?  What nonsense.  The
canonical Emacs as distributed and copyrighted by the FSF is a GUI
application on a large number of platforms.

> has nobody considered that this means that Xah had already won
> before he'd even fired his shot? :P

It just means that you have no clue what Xah has been talking about.
Xah was concerned about keybindings and terminology.  Never mind that
there are menus (with keyboard shortcuts displayed automatically),
toolbars, scrollbars, multiple frames, font support, mouse support and
so forth and so on.  Xah knows this since he actually _uses_ Emacs.

> Someone obviously felt the need for a more usable emacs and
> delivered one. In that case it's a fait accompli. Criticisms leveled
> at original-emacs shouldn't bother users of the graphical versions
> regardless.

The graphical versions _are_ original Emacs.

> The one complaint might be that both of us had out of date
> information and were fighting a war our side had already won years
> ago. :)

You just have no clue what Xah has been talking about.

> Unless of course these are all klunky bolted-on GUIs of the sort all
> too common when porting unix software to Windows or the Mac or for
> use under X, which don't work quite right or are clearly poorly
> integrated with the application's internals...about which I
> currently have no information.

You have had no information about _anything_ right from the start.

> And no, I'm not about to spend hours downloading half a gig of
> bloated who-knows-what just to find out, tyvm. :)

You could start with the current NEWS file at
<URL:http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/etc/NEWS?root=emacs&view=markup&pathrev=EMACS_22_1>
which describes everything which is new in Emacs 22.1 (and will give
quite a few ideas about what has already been there in earlier
versions).

Of course, you'll whine together some excuse why you can't be bothered
getting some information about Emacs, never mind that you post several
dozens of embarrassing tirades that are completely based on nonsense
of your own imagination.