Python IDE

Ethan Kennerly kennerly at finegamedesign.com
Fri Jun 22 02:45:25 EDT 2007

xhm wrote:
> PyScripter http://mmm-experts.com/Downloads.aspx?ProductId=4

If PyScripter is your style, Stani's Python Editor also is feature-rich and
GUIy.

Stani's Python Editor
http://pythonide.blogspot.com/
It's got winpdb and a shell integrated.

Although, from reading this thread, I've gone back to gVim, after years of
absence.   Since I already had to memorize the keyboard mapping for older
projects, and I prefer unix-style regular expressions, gVim is awesome.  But
if you don't want to memorize keyboard commands, vim is not for you.

I like unit testing by running the unit test and appending the output to my
development journal (With the "r !python" syntax).  That way I have an
ongoing record of problems and progress.

I also agree with the philosophy that Ben echoed:

Ben wrote:
> GNU screen, Emacs or Vim, and Bash. The right tool for each job, and tools
> that work well together, rather than a single tool trying to do everything
> in its own isolated world.

What I'm finding difficult, though, as some people brought up, is
integrating gVim with an interactive shell or debugger.  Currently I save to
the script file and debug it in an interpreter.  But I want to get at the
results of the debugging to modify the script.  And sometimes I want to take
snippets from the script under construction, change them, and retest them in
an interactive shell.

I like what Roland devised:
> With a python-enabled VIM it's possible to execute and thus test the
> python code. I have the following lines in my vimrc.
> F2 prints the result of a line evaluation on the bottom or in a window
> named pyout if there. I open pyout with ":vert rightb new pyout" mapped to

> F1.

But for my trial-and-error style of exploring both Python and the algorithm
under construction, I would rather run a dedicated shell or debugger outside
of vim and send its output to vim.  Would it be relatively easy to fork the
debugger/shell input/output to a file which of course vim could access?

Because IPython (http://ipython.scipy.org/) saves session input, has many
conveniences, and _feels_ like vim, I wanted to use IPython for this
purpose.  But I've been stumped because I use doctest on Windows and I don't
know how to make IPython use the doctest. Even after I tried the workaround
provided in the IPython FAQ (http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/FAQ) the doctest
was corrupted in IPython.

-- Ethan