threading and multicores, pros and cons

Istvan Albert istvan.albert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:29:35 EST 2007

On Feb 14, 1:33 am, Maric Michaud <m... at aristote.info> wrote:

> At this time, it 's not easy to explain him that python
> is notflawed compared to Java, and that he will not
> regret his choice in the future.

Database adaptors such as psycopg do release the GIL while connecting
and exchanging data.  Apache's MPM (multi processing module) can run
mod_python and with that multiple python instances as separate
processes thus avoiding the global lock as well.

> plone install up and running, he will immediately compare it to
> J2EE wonder why he should pay a consultant to make it work properly.

I really doubt that any performance difference will be due to the
global interpreter lock. This not how things work. You most certainly
have far more substantial bottlenecks in each application.

i.