"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

MonkeeSage MonkeeSage at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:44:31 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 7:23 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 02:12:17 -0800, MonkeeSage wrote:
> > Being fair, the bulk of Liebniz' writings have also been rejected by
> > those in related fields. Most modern metaphysicians hold a view closer
> > to Boston Personalism or at least post-Kantian Personalism (a la Buber),
> > than monadic unity and pre-established harmony, a la Liebniz. It is an
> > instance of the genetic fallacy to reject the achievements of a person
> > in one field, simply because of their failures in another.
>
> I'm not suggesting that Leibniz was any more of a scientist than Newton
> was, nor am I suggesting that Newton's achievements should be *rejected*
> (er, except for those pesky Quantum Mechanics and Relativity things...).
> I'm just saying that we should understand Newton for what he actually
> was, and not based on the 18th Century revisionism.
>
> --
> Steven

Fair enough. Understanding a person in their own context, especially
given the modern tendency to appropriate anything remotely similar to
the modern view as their own, is a rare quality (at least among
philosophers). I'm not a 'Newtonian fanboy' as it were, I just dislike
the uniformitarian push for a "one right view" of physics/metaphysics,
as if there were no room for innovation!

Regards,
Jordan