Choosing a new language

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Dec 29 13:16:09 EST 2007

Paul Rubin schrieb:
> Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> writes:
>> Indeed. An additional case is interactive applications where setting
>> up the situation to be tested requires several time-consuming steps.
>
> At least for web development, there are a lot of automated tools that
> mimic user input, just for this purpose.

Yes, but it still takes time to run to the point you want.
Plus you'd need to integrate such a tool with the debugger.
Plus you'd need to record the user actions, save them somewhere, and
recall them.

None of that is rocket science, of course, but I have yet to see such a
thing. (It would be nice to have it though.)

However, for web applications, I found a far easier variant: I just
reload the page being debugged. (I have to make sure that the backend is
in the same state when reloading, but that's usually easy to accomplish.)
So web pages are one area where code modification during debugging is
less important.

Desktop programs with a large internal state are an entirely different
kettle of fish, of course.

Regards,
Jo