Can't Get Email Interface Working

Eric Price soyouthinkimgonnalikethis at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 7 13:23:06 EDT 2007

>From: "Tim Williams" <tim at tdw.net>
>To: "Eric Price" <soyouthinkimgonnalikethis at hotmail.com>
>CC: hlubenow2 at gmx.net, python-list at python.org
>Subject: Re: Can't Get Email Interface Working
>Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:53:28 +0100
>
>On 07/04/07, Eric Price <soyouthinkimgonnalikethis at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Good grief! And they call a 722-line program "simple"?! LOL!
>>I did what I need to do with a __one_line_shell_script__ LOL!
>>Naw, if I have to go through all that, I'll skip on python this time
>>around,
>>thank you very much!
>>Eric
>
>Yup, its not so simple
>
>Your problem is :
>
>File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/mimetools.py", line 130, in choose_boundary
>   hostid = socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
>socket.gaierror: (8, 'hostname nor servname provided, or not known')
>
>What do you get if you do the following in your interpreter?

>'twilliams'
>'194.129.107.254'
>>>>

>>>import socket
>>>socket.gethostname()
'server312.example.com'
>>>socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
socket.gaierror: (8, 'hostname nor servname provided, or not known')

Obviously, I substituted "example.com" above; however, the host that comes
back no longer exists, so it may as well be "example.com"! And the server #
is courtesy of the server farm. In fact, the whole thing is. What do?
TIA,
Eric