File not read to end

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Wed Apr 25 13:51:29 EDT 2007

andrew.jefferies at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a simple log parsing program. I noticed that it
> isn't reading my log file to the end.
>
> My log is around 200,000 lines but it is stopping at line 26,428. I
> checked that line and there aren't any special characters.
>
> This is the file reading code segment that I'm using:
>     sysFile=open(sysFilename,'r')
>     lineCount = 0
>     for line in sysFile:
>         lineCount +=1
>         print str(lineCount) + " -- " + line
>
> I also stuck this same code bit into a test script and it was able to
> parse the entire log without problem. Very quirky.
>
> This is my first foray from Perl to Python so I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Andrew

Show us more of your surrounding code so we have some chance of figuring
out why this working code stops.  There's nothing wrong with this code,
the problem is somewhere else.

Suggestion:

    lineCount = 0
    for line in sysFile:
        lineCount +=1
        print str(lineCount) + " -- " + line

can be written:

    for lineCount, line in enumerate(sysFile):
        print "%i--%s" % (lineCount, line)

-Larry